Announcing the new editor of Escape Pod!

If you haven’t listened to last week’s episode, this may come as news, but I’m stepping down as editor of Escape Pod. I am very sad to do so, but all of my projects are spreading me too thin, and I don’t feel as if I can give any project my best effort. I don’t want EP to suffer because of this, so I’m stepping down.

I’m delighted to announce, however, that Norm Sherman, our part-time host, has agreed to take over editor duties. I love Norm’s intros, and his sense of humor, and I know he can keep up the vision Steve Eley had of Escape Pod allowing science fiction fans to “have fun.”

I will officially step down on December 31, and Alasdair Stuart of Pseudopod fame will be taking over as interim editor for a few weeks, then Norm will take over. I’m excited to see what he does with the podcast, and assure you that you’re in excellent hands.

Happy holidays, and have a fun and mighty new year.

~Mur

1. CaroCogitatus says:

Mur, you’re made of awesome. I’m glad you’ll still be doing the occasional narration.

And Norm is full to the brim with awesome sauce.

• luka datas says:

what CarosCogitatus said only thing i will add is ‘waaaaaah always come back< Mur and see if steve ealy will pop in more too… ' i have spoken.

2. Hair says:

Mur- thanks for the blog post and update. You did a great job taking over EP and it is appreciated. Best of luck with all of your other pursuits. Norm will surely continue the greatness of the Pod.

3. Steve Bickle says:

Mur, thanks for all the work you’ve put into Escape Pod over the years.

Its a bit like when a new actor takes over as the new Doctor, you’ve managed quite a long stint and have helped persist and further define the character (of the podcast), its sad to see you leave but there’s also the excitement of the new. I guess in this case with the new editor we already know a lot of Norm’s weird character quirks, especially if one’s a Drabblecast listener too. I reckon you’re passing this on to a safe pair of hands.

4. iwbyte says:

Sorry to see you take a back seat, but completely understandable!

I do like Norm also, but I want to make sure I’m able to enjoy my two favorite podcasts – EscapePod & The Drabblecast – separately, and that they don’t merge to become the same subject matter.

I do like the ‘strange stories’ on Drabblecast, but EP has always had a very high quality stream of stories that match its different listener base.

Looking forward to sticking with EP in its continual evolution!

5. JoshuaRL says:

So sorry to see you go Mur, but glad you could do it as long as you could. I’ve been a listener since episode 67, and only came out of the woodwork to tell Steve the same. Thank you for all your hard work, and happy jet-trails.

Also, good choice on editor. I had the same exact response when this happened the last time: “What? No, you can’t… Well I guess that’s understandable. But who’s gonna… Oh, good choice. This is in good hands.” Anyway, thanks again from an old-fogey listener.

6. Jetse says:

Mur: thanks for a great run, and all the best with your other endeavours.

OK, I’m biased because you bought one of my stories for Escape Pod, but so did Steve. So maybe I should try out Norm Sherman next year (and I might have a suitable story: one that I recently sold).

Happy Holidays, Happy New Year and looking forward to Escape Pod in 2013!

7. Cutter McKay says:

If someone has to replace Mur, there isn’t a better choice out there than Norm. I’m really excited about this. His intros quite regularly have me laughing aloud. Very excited. And good luck in the future, Mur.

8. Will says:

As someone who started listening when the episode numbers were still in single digits, I’d like to thank you, Mur for the fine job you’ve done. Thank you!

9. David Kafri says:

+1 to iwbyte, above.
    A great thank you to both the mighty and the strange, you are both awsome!

10. Benjamin says:

Thanks so much for all that you’ve done, Mur. I’ve really enjoyed your run as editor.

And welcome to Norm! You have my absolute favorite voice in the podcast universe, I’m looking forward to having more of you in my head each week :-D .