Escape Pod Flash: Taco

By Greg Van Eekhout
Read by John Meagher

“Hey, tell me, this look like Jesus to you?”

I come to Tito’s Tacos for a lot of reasons. The freeway overpass
ambience, the way the old men in the kitchen wrap the burritos tighter
than Cuban cigars, the shiny Kennedy 50-cent pieces you always get as
part of your change. A lot of reasons. But conversation isn’t among
them. Nonetheless, I dutifully look up from my lunch to see what the
guy at the next table over is talking about.

Rated PG for a possibly edible messiah

I swear to God I saw Darth Vader holding a lightsaber in a cloud once and it lasted for about a minute until his head snapped off and his arms floated away. If I had my camera with me I would have gotten a five pound voucher from the Anglo-Welsh Cloud Gazing Society and free meringue for a year!

2. popepat says:

Thanks, Greg. Now my mouth is watering for Titos. And yes, for those in the LA area, the food there is nothing short of a miracle…

3. Ken_K says:

EP needs better writers. Sheesh.

4. Larry_W says:

I disagree Ken. I think John did the best with what he was given. The story, on the other hand, wasn’t what I’d call great literature.

5. Jon D says:

So, Ken & Larry … let’s see your bits of flash … are they any better? Are they “great literature?” At least this pleasant bit of writing found an audience as did Greg’s recent novel. If you dislike what you’ve read, fine. That’s your right. But if you can’t even form an intelligent argument as to why you found it lacking, STFU!

6. MasterThief says:

I liked it. It’s Dan Brown meets the Tacos Tacos Tacos Tacos.

7. Ken_K says:

@Jon D

Lame. Unoriginal. Had no unifying concept. Best review I can do from a
    cellphone.

8. Joe_H says:

I like the short fiction. Surprising though that the readers sound quality was so much better than the outro sound quality.

9. Blue Tyson says:

Unoriginal?

Wanna point out all the other Taco Jesus operation stories then?

10. Jennifer says:

That was great. Please keeping buying whatever van Eekhout will sell!

11. Wil says:

I loved this, and the reading was fantastic.

Thanks, guys.

12. Rebecca says:

oh my gosh that is not fair at all. I moved from LA to Canada… and I miss Titos sooooo much. I can’t wait to go back. I’ll have Titos for lunch and In N Out for Dinner!

13. Matt C says:

I some how get the feeling I’m missing something, not living near this Tito’s. Loved the story, buy more van Eekhout!

14. [...] flash fiction from escape pod Jun.12, 2009 in Feed News, Uncategorized I loved this story at Escape Pod: “Hey, tell me, this look like Jesus to [...]

15. Greg L says:

Just yesterday I ate lunch at Tito’s. How weird it would have been to have been listening to this while eating a Tito’s burrito. For the record, their chips are abnormally thick, but I’ve never had one with the image of Jesus on it. Elvis, sure, but not Jesus.