Late notice (and a bonus file)

Sorry folks. I know that EP is getting to the point where it’s usually late these days, but today it’s going to be a bit later than usual. There are a few good reasons for it — some related to the content itself, and some related to things going on with me — but it would be inappropriate for me to go into all of it right this moment. We’re not skipping a week, and I’m fairly certain EP170 will be posted by noon today.

In the meantime, by way of apology and spurred by some demand for it in the forums, here’s a minor bonus for those interested: the raw, mostly unedited recording session from Dr. Bowie’s and my reading of “How I Mounted Goldie, Saved My Partner Lori, and Sniffed Out the People’s Justice” last week. If you enjoy knowing how the sausage gets made, this particular file is a slightly more entertaining example than most. This isn’t going into the feed, because it isn’t really an Escape Pod episode; you’ll have to either listen in the browser, or right-click on it and download it yourself if you want to hear it.

1. Pi says:

No soup for you!

“Access Denied”

2. thegreattim says:

Same for me:
    Unbale to open internet site.

3. Graham says:

Are you testing us on Christiana Ellis’ “Habits”?

4. Stumo says:

Hope all’s well Steve. Don’t worry, we can wait a bit. Sit down and have a cup of tea.

(Can you tell I’m a brit?)

5. SFEley says:

Sorry folks. Capitalization error in the play link. It should work now.

6. tiffarific says:

What’s that clicking sound? It sounds like you make a click whenever you re-start narrating.

7. Randomtime says:

Urm… it just came for me in the feed, whatever happened to “this isn’t in the feed?”

8. me says:

Yep, got it here in the main feed, too.

9. SFEley says:

sigh Once again, sorry about that. Nothing is going right today. In this case it seems that WordPress was far more exuberant than I imagined about detecting MP3 links and making enclosures from them, even when I don’t want it to.

That should be nuked now, and anyone else checking their feeds after right now shouldn’t see the enclosure. My apologies, it was totally unintentional. I did test this myself, but apparently iTunes was too stupid to try to download the file, so it’s only the 25% of people who don’t use iTunes who likely got this without wanting it. My apologies again.

10. wintermute says:

I hope noon comes in the next couple of hours. Otherwise I’m going to have to wait until Monday to listen to the new EscapePod goodness.

Steve, I certainly don’t mean to complain that my free entertainment isn’t on schedule (I hate people who do that), but I’m only going to be able to download it within the next couple of hours (and even then, rather less conveniently than at home) and then not at all until Monday afternoon, due to a long weekend out of town.

So, if it doesn’t turn up soonish, I’ll be anxious all weekend, rather than being able to listen to it on the plane. Ah, well. I’m sure you’re doing your best, and I really appreciate all the work you put into for this, but I just felt like… I dunno. Being a jerk?

11. Rachel says:

I rather cheer you on than pressure you. Quality over quickness. Do your best. I’ll wait even over the weekend if it takes that long.

12. SFEley says:

Sorry wintermute. Does it help that I quoted you in the feedback? (It’s uploading now. Will post within 15 minutes.)

13. wintermute says:

I said something cogent about a story recently? Sweet!

fingers crossed that it’s in time for me to snag it before leaving for the airport

Really, I didn’t mean to add stress. If it’s not there in time, then it’s an added bonus for Tuesday. But I’ll be anxious all weekend, that’s all.

14. wintermute says:

Woo! And there is it!

You, sir, are a hero amongst men.

15. Hey, long time listening, first time commenter, will try to comment more often. Found this podcast via podcast ready.

I speed listen to podcasts. I set the playback speed at 130% and thus I get the same information in less time.

When this came out, which did come to my RSS feed, but i didnt mind, it was interesting just as well. But when I listened to this, I had playback speed set to 100%, since earlier I was listening to music, and thus I heard your actual voice, not the slightly distorted voice at 130%, which takes a few minutes to get used to, but it works, it sounds just fine. and this sounded different because I listened to the actual story at 130%. So, I changed the playback speed to 130%. And I must say, everyone should at least try and listen to this story at 130% playback speed, this is because your voice becomes even more like what I image a dog’s voice would sound like, if dogs had voices.

Before escape pod, I was never really into short stories, sure I read some, but I never actually read them, unless they were like in a novel, or for school. This made me really enjoy short stories and I hope that you keep doing this for as long as possible.

16. The Devil's Advocate says:

First, may I say thank you for doing all the editing that you had to do, I couldnt imagine listening to this the first time!

Second, thank you for posting this, it was very entertaining seeing the method behind the madness, it would be interesting to see more of this.

17. Rich says:

I loved this story (and the reading) from last week, and got to enjoy it for the first-time all over again this week — high-larious session. Thank you for letting us in on the fun.

18. Rio2k says:

The file name for the raw version is hilarious: “How I Mounted Goldie Raw”…