EP091: The Acid Test

By Kay Kenyon.
Read by cunning minx (of Polyamory Weekly).
First appeared in Talebones, Winter 2004.

“It’s my husband. He’ll go. He wants to go.”

The alien looked down the hall as though he’d rather be home nursing a beer than dealing with a disgruntled housewife at 4:00 p.m. on a Friday afternoon.

“Please.” She tried not to sound desperate. “He’s young and healthy. College degree, business administration.” She thought that last might not help. “With a math minor.”

Rated PG. Contains some sexual innuendo, relationship issues, and unpleasant cheese odors.

Referenced Sites:
Aliens You Will Meet
EP Flash Fiction Contest

1. Lee Cherolis says:

Hi Steve!

This one seemed on the short side to me. Was it just too long to call it Flash? I wonder if it would have worked better as a flash piece, distilled down to a more potent delivery. I enjoyed it nonetheless.

This is my first comment on here, I found out about Escape Pod through my friend Rich Sigfrit. I’ve caught up on Pseudopod and about half of Escape Pod, and I have to thank you for making my last couple of weeks at work especially easy. I never knew podcasts could help reduce this much stress.

Keep them coming.

2. Jim says:

Discuss this episode in-depth with other listeners and the host at the Escape Pod forum:

3. yak sox says:

Hello Steve,

hey I really appreciated the brief tips on doing your own writing. Story writing for me is always in the basket labelled, “want to do but not doing”.

4. Archie says:

Okay this one was fun and really it is a lovely story. Although doesn’t she realise exactly what decision her chap makes in the end?? Surely that would have prevoked some comment since the whole exercise was to test the outcome of the question. Then the outcome is given and she doesn’t comment.

Never the less a nice story.

Thanks as always.

5. Archie says:

Sorry typo I meant:

Love story not Lovely story

6. Jeremiah says:

This one wasn’t one of my favorites. I felt like the ending was a bit cliche (“No, take me instead”), and I couldn’t find myself wishing the best to a woman that would intentionally set up a bad situation like this.

Crap, illogical mess…meh.

To Steve, I have the same problem; I have a number of uncompleted short stories and I just can’t finish them.