EP Flash: Nightshift in the Automart

By Andrew Gudgel.
Read by Jared Axelrod (of The Voice of Free Planet X).

“Hi, Jeremy.”

“‘Lo, Suzy.”

The Goddess Kali’s eyes flashed red with anger. “Don’t call me that!” Behind her, a whole pantheon wandered the aisles, looking for late-night snacks.

Rated R. Contains partial nudity, some language, petty crime, and a few gods’ names taken in vain.

1. heather says:

Awesome!! I totally loved this short…Bring more!

2. Jim says:

I have to echo heather. I was listening in the car on the way to work, and sat in my spot with the engine running to listen to the list few minutes. At the end, I said out loud, “That was awesome!” Nice setting work, really good characters and interaction. My only concern is that the reading felt a bit rushed at times. The story itself was incredible, though. Now I have to look up this Free Planet X… just what I need, more podcasts to listen to! 🙂

3. slic says:

The story was great. Having worked the late night shift at a convience store, I could relate.

The reading was off – seemed hurried at times, and there was a sound glitch at about 1:25-1:30.

4. Simon says:

Another cracking story… Better than a lot of your full lengthers.

More..

5. Bryan says:

Good story. Nice extrapolation of possible fashion trends and stylish execution. I love a happy ending.

6. Anand says:

Hindu Rockers! Nice one!

7. Simon says:

Ok, I just wished to add a few comments to my last note on here…

I love the structure of the story, and the way it’s delivered. However, over the past few days I came across another tale that casts this into a slightly different light.

However, by cheery happen stance I was in a bookshop yesterday searching for a particular story – which I failed to find – and I ended up walking out with Roger Zelazny’s Lord Of Light in the SF Masterworks range. I’ve somehow overlooked Zelazny before and am really really enjoying this. It’s a story about Oriental Deities that turn out to be… Well, I wont spoil it – suffice to say it’s a science fiction premise and these turn out to be real people with their own flaws and character traits.

There are enough tonal similarities in the way this story here is told (particularly in the semi-comic divine temper-tantrums in both) that I have to ask the author a straight question… Have you read Lord of Light? Homage?

I’m really, really enjoying Lord Of Light, and recommend it to everyone who enjoyed this.

8. The reading of this story was great. There was something in the voice of the reader… almost a sense of delight with the words he was reading. Which is not to say, Steve, that your usual readings are not excellent, because they are.

As for the story itself, it’s cool to hear an author’s take not only on the technology and politics of the future, but the fashions and trends as well.

9. […] in the Automart January 25, 2007 Posted by eenauk in india, Michael. trackback A cute and short (10 mins) PodCast from EscapePod obout the Goddess Kali herself. The story is waswritten by Andrew Gudgel and is read by Jared Axelrod. Mouthwatering excerpt: The doors whooshed open and the Goddess Kali strode up to the counter. She stopped in front of him, grinning wickedly. Straight platinum-blonde hair spilled down over her shoulders and high bare breasts, contrasting with her inky black skin. Jeremy noticed a necklace of tiny, perfectly-formed ceramic skulls hung around her neck. ‚ÄúHi, Jeremy.‚Äù ‚Äú‚ÄòLo, Suzy.‚Äù The Goddess Kali‚Äôs eyes flashed red with anger. ‚ÄúDon‚Äôt call me that!‚Äù Behind her, a whole pantheon wandered the aisles, looking for late-night snacks. […]

10. rubso says:

Being familiar with oriental mytic and having lived and worked nightshifts in a store in the middle of an Indian neighbourhood in Birmingham-England, I must say this was a very good take on the rich yet complicated to a semi chaotic world.. I loved it..

11. Tom says:

Very cute story. Of all the Escape Pod flashes I’ve heard, this is my favorite so far. I’m a sucker for romance, so this one hit the spot. Makes me wonder what trend Suzy will fall into next.

12. araña says:

love, love, love!!!
    but i’m missin’ the flash pieces like a fiend, steve.
    are there no submissions for this category?

13. Wonderfully rich characters. One of my favorite flash pieces of any podcast.