EP056: The Clockwork Atom Bomb

By Dominic Green.
Read by Dr. Jonathon Sullivan.

The wind in here was deafening. The girl had to shout. “THERE IS MORE THAN ONE IN HERE. THEY LIVE IN THE MACHINES. THE GOVERNMENT MADE THE MACHINES, BUT NOT WITH TECHNICIANS AND ELECTRICIANS. WITH SORCERY.”

The machines did not look made by sorcery. They were entirely silent, looking like rows of gigantic, rusted steel chess pawns twice the height of a man, with no pipes or wires entering or leaving them, apparently sitting here unused for any purpose. Mativi felt an urgent, entirely rational need to be in an another line of employment.

Rated R. Contains profanity and some violence.

Referenced sites:
2006 Hugo Nominees
The Balticon Podcast
Michael & Evo’s Slice of SciFi
Rock & Roll Monster Bash

1. Wally Conger says:

This one’s getting *my* vote for the Hugo this year!

2. Lar says:

I agree. This one is the best SciFi story of the bunch in my humble opinion. “Down Memory Lane” was a fantastic story and I probably liked it better, but it just isn’t SciFi.

3. Pete Butler says:

Oh, HELL yes.

Of the three Hugo-nominated stories I’ve read/heard thus far (still haven’t gotten to Down Memory Lane or Singing My Sister Down yet), this is my favorite by leaps and bounds. This is the first one I’ve heard that really made me sit up and say “YES! Now THAT’S the good stuff!”

Smart, inventive, unpredictable, and hideously plausible. Good concept + good plot + good characterization = GREAT story. Possibly the finest thing I’ve yet heard on Escape Pod.

I must learn more of this “Dominic Green” fellow and seek out his work.

4. Simon says:

This was superb.. Good concept…. my one reservation would be that the exposition was a little heavy handed.. But this should win the hugo.. Is head and shoulders above the competition.

5. Vanamonde says:

Have to agree that is was the most enjoyable of the Hugo stories. However the cynic inside me thinks this story isn’t arty farty enough to win a Hugo.

6. listener says:

I’ve enjoyed many of the stories on Escapepod, but this one stands out. Great story! I didn’t want it to end.

7. noyb says:

Explores the ugly realities of life in a part of the world that usually escapes genre notice. Well done and very well-read. It’s great to hear this much work put into characterization.

8. pod'n out says:

Wow! More Dominic Green please.

9. [...] ‚ÄúDown Memory Lane‚Äù de Mike Resnick, ‚ÄúThe Clockwork Atom Bomb‚Äù de Dominic Green, ‚ÄúTk’tk’tk‚Äù de David D. Levin y ‚ÄúSeventy-Five Years‚Äù de Michael A. Burstein siguieron sus pasos ofreciendo sus textos en formato audio. [...]

10. [...] #056: The Clockwork Atom Bomb [...]

11. yah.its is muddafucka like paris hilton.that so delicious.!

12. Brenton says:

Wow! One of the most amazing SF stories ever!

13. Krestort says:

Recently one of my friends started an obsession with the actor Nicholas Cage (mostly because their names are both Nicholas – sounds strange but he is strange and that isn’t the point). After asking around the rest of my friends he seems to be a very controversial figure.
    What does the forum think? do you love the all action superhero? Or do you hate the droning voice of the man who does nothing but action shooters?

14. How many times you eat during a normal … every day life?
    are you the type of person who eats a bit and often?
    or rarely and too much?

i usually have 3 and i’m the 2nd type of person (though it’s not that healthy)

8 am breakfast