EP053: Seventy-Five Years

By Michael A. Burstein.
Read by Deborah Green.

Isabel turned the handheld on and read to herself briefly. “According to this, your bill would push the date of release of the individual Census forms from seventy-two to seventy- five years.”

“It makes sense, Isabel.”

“It does?”

He pointed to her handheld. “You say you have my argument in there.”

“I do. And I find it specious.”

Rated G. Contains politics and reference to moral issues. (Your kids may not get it, but it shouldn’t offend.)

Referenced sites:
2006 Hugo Nominees
Wikipedia on the Hugo Award
Hugo History at a Glance
Novel Nominees – Electronic Editions
Rock ‘N’ Roll Monster Bash 2006

1. Jared says:

Very interesting story. The part about mormons and polygamy especially since I am a mormon (not a polygamist). I don’t think we are trying to get polygamy legalized or will ever try in the future. Who knows though I can see Mass. being the first state to leagalize gay, polygamous, clone marriages though.

2. Wally Conger says:

Why this nominal story was nominated for a Hugo over 90% of the original stuff that’s appeared on Escape Pod is beyond my comprehension.

3. Chuck Burkins says:

I liked this story quite a bit. Still, I have to agree with Wally. It just doesn’t strike me as Hugo brilliant. Still, glad to have heard it – good stuff.

4. noyb says:

I chuckled a bit when Margaret Marshall was lumped in with Ghandi and MLK. Maybe people really will see her that way in 100 years…

5. Ian Mackereth says:

I haven’t checked, but I’d bet that this was published in Analog. It’s got that clunky, awkward romantic bit tacked onto a long exposition.

It would’ve been a nice enough little story but not especially memorable, except that it’s got a Hugo nomination somehow, which places higher expectations on it.

Read well, though!

6. Colin F says:

I imagine a lot of the Escape Pod stories that have been broadcast so far wouldn’t be eligible for this year’s Hugo anyway – as they were originally published a couple of years ago?

I’ve got to agree with earlier comments though. The end was overly sentimental. The story started promisingly but was ultimately a bit of a disappointment.

But it’s almost Thursday, so another story’s just around the corner ……

7. Sunrider says:

OK, going to echo much of what was said. The story could have gone so many places and didn’t. After the last line was read and there was a pause, my immediate thought was “What, that’s it??”

The concept was fantastic, but I think it could have had a better ending.

8. Sarah Louis says:

I really like the idea of podcasts of Hugo noms, even though this one is old. It’d be even cooler if EP somehow got permission to do the new nominated stories. Publicity for the stories, more great content for EP. Everyone wins!

9. SFEley says:

Hi Sarah,

“Seventy-Five Years” isn’t old — it’s one of this year’s Hugo nominees. So are the ones you’ll hear next week. The 2006 Hugos recognize work that was done in 2005.

10. […] If you Google on the thing you’ll find a large number of sound engineers who swear that the RNC is the best compressor you can find for less than $2,000. I got mine for $175 (plus state tax, and with some cables thrown in) at Humbucker Music, whom I will attest are a great bunch of folks. I’ve used it twice now for podcasting. I wish I could say something like, “Wow! All I had to was turn the thing on and nightingales dropped dead from envy at my feet.” Unfortunately, it didn’t work that way. New sound gear never works that way. Even on Super Nice mode, I’m still working on tweaking the settings just right. My first attempt (for last week’s Escape Pod intro) used a 6:1 ratio, -8 dB threshold, +6 dB gain. I personally think it came out sounding overpowered, way too flat and pushy. For this week’s intro I used a 4:1 ratio, and made the threshold and gain even at +8 (which the manual recommends). It wasn’t flat this time, but I clipped frequently. This could mean I need to make my mic gain part of the equation too. […]

11. Jeremiah says:

Good story, I really liked it quite a bit. I gotta admit that the end was a bit too ‘and they fell in love again’ for me, but it was good altogether.

Also, it’s my understanding that Mormon’s don’t do the polygamy thing, at least not anymore. Wiki backs me up here, but it’s not a big deal.

12. Pete Butler says:

Hmm. I’m in agreement with the “This is a Hugo nominee?” reaction. It certainly didn’t suck — far from it — but the story was just a pair of talking heads.

13. Paul says:

To Ian Mackereth

Australia? Sydney? Atari? (waaay back?)
    if so, drop me a line!

Paul

kazoo@planet.nl

14. […] ‚ÄúDown Memory Lane‚Äù de Mike Resnick, ‚ÄúThe Clockwork Atom Bomb‚Äù de Dominic Green, ‚ÄúTk’tk’tk‚Äù de David D. Levin y ‚ÄúSeventy-Five Years‚Äù de Michael A. Burstein siguieron sus pasos ofreciendo sus textos en formato audio. […]

15. Ian Mackereth says:

Replying to Paul:

Just how many “Ian Mackereth”s do you know?!

(Sorry people, move along, nothing to see here, just old friends from opposite sides of the globe meeting by chance in a website in one of the other corners of the world. Business as usual in the system of tubes.)

16. SFEley says:

Now that is cool.

17. Test says:

Hello

G’night

18. Dan the Man says:

Like some others, I was a little disappointed. After I got to the end I thought I had missed something and kept rewinding further and further until I realized that it just had a fizzle ending.

19. Norm says:

Proof that the Hugo is a club for established writers with little thought to content, original thought, or accessiblity.
    Even as a ameateur writer I know to make my stories more interesting.
    This story is Booorrring! Although, I appreciate Steve posting the Hugo stories.