EP044: Show and Tell

By Greg van Eekhout.
Read by Anna Eley.

Dex asks if he can keep the bullet, and Brindi says to give it back, and Teacher reminds her to say please. Brindi agrees to throw bullets at the rest of us, so she does the thing with her finger and it’s BOOM, BOOM, BOOM and whip-whip-whip for the next few minutes.

When she’s done there’s smoke in the air and it stinks and we applaud and give back her bullets. Brindi has had a great show, and I don’t know how anyone can beat it.

Show and Tell is important because it prepares us to be impressive.

Rated PG. Contains mild scenes of violence enacted by somewhat strange children.

Referenced sites:
The Numbers – Movie Budgets
Lies and Little Deaths: A Virtual Anthology
The Speech Accent Archive

1. Ling says:

Great job reading the story. It’s good to see shorter stories on audio!

2. Simon says:

After saying that I did not think Anna Eley was right for Mur Lafferty’s story. Its only right that I should say she did a good job with this one.

3. Personally, I think Anna Eley did a great job with this one. :)

4. Hey Sam, how about sending us a story?

5. Simon says:

Hmm.. I find that with some of these stories a key word becomes so promminent that it keeps standing out from the rhythm of the story… It might be in the enunciation, but I think it’s more likely that its because it’s got lots of sylables.

In this case I had trouble with “Head Noodles”, like I had a problem with “Little Worker” in Little Worker. I’m not sure what can be done about this, but I suggest paying attention for over-repeated phrases in Escape Pod submissions, it matters more here than in prose.

Really liked this story tho.

6. Andrew Scott says:

I’ve just finished working my way through the whole Escape Pod back catalogue and I have to say this story and its narration is a clear highlight for me. I think Anna’s narration perfectly suits the subject matter and makes it really engaging. Last night I played it to my five year old son and his mother in the car on our way home after visiting the grandparents: they both loved it. That is a glowing tribute from my SF apathetic partner!

Keep up the great work.

7. BrandtPileggi says:

I think you’re all missing the point. The funniest accent in the world is obviously the one from Quebec. I’ve studied it scientifically and that’s the definitive answer. Quebecis talk funny.

Weird and wonderful and weird.

I don’t know what Eekhount snorts but it is definitely not illegal or expensive on his planet.

9. fu says:

please do not let anna read any more stories. she reads like she’s reading to a 5 year old.