EP043: Little Worker

By Paul Di Filippo.
Read by Jonathon Sullivan.

At home, Little Worker could do pretty much as she pleased, as long as she was there should Mister Michael need her. At the office–and in other public places–she had to be more circumspect and diligent. Little Worker was on duty her, in a way that was more intense than behind the electrified fence and active sensors of the estate. (Once, one of the men at the Training School had said: “Little Worker, you are the most diligent companion I’ve ever trained.” The men of the school had been nice, in their stern way. But no one was like Mister Michael.)

Today, however, Little Worker’s mind was not on her work.

Rated X. Contains sex, violence, domestic slavery, and furries you don’t want to mess with.

Referenced sites:
Voices: New Media Fiction
Girl Genius Radio Theatre
The Podcast Pedant

1. Bazooka Joe says:

This is a great short story that can be found in Paul’s book Ribo Funk. I’ve been a fan of Paul’s since day one. Day one being 18 years ago.

Here’s where I pimp my show. If you liked this story by Paul Di Filippo you might enjoy my interview with him at http://smallworldpodcast.com/?p=297

We talked about his career as a science fiction writer, being a stringer for Chuck Shepherd’s News of the Weird and much, much more!

2. Awesome story. The writing was very tight, and the characters all behave the way you’d expect ‘em to… until they don’t… which is great.

You’ve always had really well-written pieces, but there has been a marked increase in consistent quality over the last couple of months. Congrats on getting more and more submissions of higher and higher quality.

3. Rich Gibson says:

This story will likely remain in my mind if (for nothing else) the line “Sex is sex, peanut butter is what I like.”

(and the reading was nicely twisted)

4. Jesse says:

Feeling blue? Lack playfulness? Have you noticed any loss of interest in normally pleasurable activities? Most importantly do you lately suffer from an inability to laugh?

Ole Doc Sulldog does a rollicking read of Paul Di Fillipo’s terrific short story “Little Worker” – its good for what ails ya!

Steve, this one’s got to be a cantidate for a Hugo. Fo-sho!

5. I really LOVED this one. Great episode!! I admit a little twinge of jealousy too… would have LOVED to have been your narrator for this absolute gem. Sullivan did a much better job, sure, but what a fun read it would’ve been.

I will be looking for more work by the author!

Cheers,
    ~whore

6. “Ole Doc Sullydog” has a nice ring to it.

7. J. R. DeRego says:

Excellent story, and another I rememeber from at least a few years ago. Wonderfully done by Dr. Sullivan who managed, AGAIN, to capture several distinct voices and bring them to vibrant life.

Well done!

8. Jose says:

I like the way Paul focuses on the biological side of the equation when looking at the future technology. Excellent production standards as well, keep up the good work guys.

9. Don says:

IMFG,

I read the DT Version (Dead Tree Version) of “Little Worker” a ‘million years ago’ in either Analog or Asimov. I did not recognize that I had read the story before as I listened to Jonathan Sullivan read it until I was half way throught the story. His reading was absolutly 90 degrees from how I read the story in my head. Sullivan’s reading brought a whole new diminsion to the story. I’m going to tottle off for some bread and jelly, now.

10. RKG says:

I remember this from the print version as well. F&SF, late 80′s I think.

Liked it then – like it now.

Keep up the great work

11. Lora says:

Don, how did you read it in your head? Can you describe what came off differently?

12. Hey, this story was really fun. After having listened to the other Paul DeFilippo story here, I’m a fan. I’m going to check out his novels. Thanks for the entertainment!

13. Harris says:

Completely off the wall but incrediably original.
    Great story.

14. The Devil's Advocate says:

This is an awesome, however, i found the description somewhat misleading, as there is NO furry i would want to mess around with!!

15. Podcasts says:

[...] Howard-historie, omend Stross, der selv læser op, måske mangler lidt i sin styring af stemmen), Little Worker af Paul di Filippo (god historie og rigtigt godt læst op) og Infestation af Garth Nix (ganske [...]