EP005: Snow Day

By Jennifer Pelland.
Read by Deborah Green.
All stories by Jennifer Pelland.
All stories read by Deborah Green.

“Innovate, Max. Burrow your way out. I don’t care.”

“A tunnel of snow would be unsafe for you to travel through, as it could collapse at any time.”

“Max–“

“Would you like to have sex?”

Damn him. He vibrates.

Rated R. Contains profanity, robotic sexual content, and offensive weather.

Download this week’s Escape Pod.

1. JesseWillis says:

SNOW DAY kind of reminds me of a James Patrick Kelly story, but with more sex. Hilarious! Sound quality wasn’t perfect but damn good anyway. You’re choosing some excellent stories dude.

2. al saiz says:

I sit by my aggregator waiting for the first signs of your podcast downloading….ah…the universe is safe…

Great show, definately a favorite.

al
    barrington, rhode island

3. SFEley says:

Thanks! It’s the support of you folks that makes defending the universe worthwhile. >8->

4. Snow Day was hilarious. I’m so glad I found this site. These will make my evening runs so much better.

5. Magess says:

Bahahaha. Quite amusing. Who says that robots always want to conquer the world.

6. Jason says:

I like the computer voice in the begging of the podcat. Does anyone know which mac voice it is. I cannot find it on my computer.

7. SFEley says:

Hi Jason,

The computer voice is “Vicki,” slowed down just a trifle in Speech Preferences. I’m using OSX Tiger; I don’t know if the voices change any between versions.

As you all noticed, I was experimenting with computer voices over the last couple of weeks. My intent was going to be to pick a different voice each week, and the bad ones would just be funny; but at this point I’ve decided I rather like Vicki, so I’ll probably keep her until people complain or a better idea comes along.

8. Thomas says:

Steve:

Vicki is a much upgraded version of Victoria that was introduced in 10.3. Supposedly adds some quite megs to the total size of the voice files. (I personally can’t tell too much of a difference other than Vicki sounds a bit raspier.)

I really liked this story, I thought the dialogue was sharp and witty. So much sex though! I kept thinking of it like, I, Robot with a sexual twist.

9. Michelle Crane says:

As soon as I heard on the Dragon Pages that you had a short-story sci fi podcast, I couldn’t wait to get online and find it. I spent a three hour commute this morning listening to ‘back issues’. This story (Snow Day) in particular had me roaring with laughter – good thing I drive alone! What a great idea for a podcast, and what a great selection of stories so far. I’m so impressed that you’re using name-brand authors that I’ll just saunter over to the paypal button…Keep it up!

10. Lissa says:

This is a much-delayed comment, but I wanted to say that I loved this story; it was simply hilarious, particularly all the sex. The dialogue and narration was wonderfully amusing and witty.

11. Krista says:

I keep telling my husband this, and just today found this comment section (OK, he usually burns them to cds and we listen in the car – so I’m not on the site much).

Anyway, of all the stories so far, Snow Day is my absolute favorite. I’ve listened to it at least 3 times and now I think I’ll go listen again……

Can’t wait for my collector’s CD to get here

12. [...] Recommendations: Short Story (a.k.a. Flash): Oasis Humor: In His Footsteps Adult: Snow day [...]

13. Aaron says:

Wow, who would have seen it comming? I don’t usually get a laugh from my audio adictions but, this time, I was floored. Way to go, and keep up the awsome naration and fantastic story selection.