EP003: Three Wish Habit

By Janni Lee Simner.
Read by Jonathon Sullivan.
All stories by Janni Lee Simner
All stories read by Jonathon Sullivan.

The man opens his hand, the one that’s been in his pocket all this time. A shiny brass bottle lies there, small in his large palm. A band of flowery, unreadable lettering is etched just beneath the narrow neck. Otherwise the surface is flawless: no dents, no scratches, no dirt.

My hands tremble; my heart pounds so loud I have trouble thinking. That’s the real thing he’s holding, no doubt about it. He might still be a cop. But I flip into park, and roll the window down.

Rated PG. Contains some profanity, vehicular violence, and poor judgment.

1. Roberta N Dunker says:

The story was great. It kept my attention. I also began to wonder what would I wish for. Janni is a very enthralling writer. I would love to hear more of her works.

2. SFEley says:

I’m glad you enjoyed it! I’ve just gone and added a link to Janni’s site, by the way, if you want to go looking for more.

3. Thomas says:

Overall I liked this story, it kept my attention but I thin k the only fault of the story is the same fault that “wish based” stories always have– you’re sitting there screaming, “Why in the world are you wasting your wish on _that_ ?!?”

4. Abby says:

I ditto Thomas. The premise was cool, but I lost all sympathy for the main character when he wasted his wishes on things that Homer Simpson would have thought stupid.

5. kirby says:

I wish for a biger home so I could have a kid one.

6. [...] By Janni Lee Simner. Read by Jonathon Sullivan. Original Podcast: May 26, 2005. [...]

7. Wesley says:

I just listened to this story and I enjoyed it. It kept my attention very well though like most wish stories I expected things to go bad for the main charecter and was not disapointed. I found the concept of wishes being commonplace in normal society (and being an illegal drug) very interesting.