EP001: Imperial

By Jonathon Sullivan
All stories by Jonathon Sullivan
All stories read by Stephen Eley

Our debut issue!

Dennis blinked through his dripping eyelashes at the irresistible abomination seated on the blue-green grass two meters in front of him. The Pig smiled her bio-engineered leopard-smile at him and kept her right hand prominently in contact with the stun-gun at her hip.

He stared, too choked with shock, desire and tepid river water to speak.

Rated R. Contains profanity, sexual content, politics, and sarcasm.

1. al saiz says:

Wow…this podcast is terrific…welcome and much success

2. SFEley says:

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. And for posting the very first comment you win…well, my undying esteem. Not much cash value there, I’m afraid, but you’ve got it.

3. Evo says:

Nicely done, Steve. I expect nothing but wonderful things from you in the future!

Evo.

4. Emceemk says:

Very well done; I’m looking forward to future podcasts!

5. Jesse Willis says:

This is awesome! Great first podcast. You’ve been PayPaled!

6. SFEley says:

Whoo! You’re awesome, Jesse! Thanks hugely for our first donation. I just checked out your site, too, and it’s terrific. You’ve been linkified.

7. Brad P. says:

Yea! Short form SciFi. I’m really looking forward to listening to many more of your PodCasts. I’ve only gotten this one so far, but I actually can’t listen to your PodCast on my preferred mp3 player – my Palm T2.

24KHz audio sample rate just won’t play.

I can get 22, 32 or 44KHz to play just fine, but 24 won’t frickin’ play. Anything you can do to help out would be greatly appreciated.

If you’ve already dealt with that, I really appreciate it.

8. Thomas says:

I’m going to rant on this story for a second, since Steve invites all criticism good and bad. This was the start to escape pod, and I thought it was a rather weak one to be honest.

Jonathan sounds like a very capable writer, and his strengths are in setting a tone and creating a vivid world that can be easily imagined.

In my mind I think the weakness of this story is a common weakness that many sci-fi stories share. There’s this sense that Jonathan is so eager to make his world seem different and unique that it comes across like you’re being screamed at. I couldn’t help but feel that there was a certain “shock value” that was intended to shake the reader out of a stupor (especially at the beginning).

The voices that Steve does for the aliens are great ;)

I haven’t noticed it in any of the other audio files, but this story was also notorious for damn near blowing out the bass in my car speakers a number of times because of awkward mic positioning (I assume). I would have to turn it up so loud to hear the voices and then there would be a pop that would practically blow them out.

Only complaints. :) Keep up the good work.

9. sal says:

What has happened to the REAL EP01? A very short story about some people trapped in an escape-pod, and a failure to commit suicide.

10. [...] May 12, 2005, Escape Pod published it’s first audio story: “Imperial” by Jonathon Sullivan. Today, 100 weeks later, April 5, 2007, Escape Pod has published it’s 100th story: Isaac [...]

11. [...] Lori, and Sniffed Out The People‚Äôs Justice” by Jonathon Sullivan (whose story “Imperial” was the very first in Escape Pod). Told by an enhanced canine police officer during [...]

12. dixon hotel at center conference university auburn and

13. hi
    62f0r1iytgi6xafj
    good luck

14. Abramovicl says:

Hi , i have some questions about you desing
    maybe you can give designer contacts?